Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanks For Reading My Blog!

This post should come with a little disclaimer so here it is: I claim no responsibility for any lost or stolen items. For reals though.

Guys. I'm going to reward you for reading my blog. Potentially anyway. So I don't care much for Johnny Cash, but I do like the Folsom Prison Blues song, as long as it's not sung by him of course. I like the cover by Everlast. And if you're a Johnny Cash fan, I'm not saying he's not good or anything, he's just not my style. Anyway, unfortunately, neither iTunes nor Amazon.com have that particular cover (they don't even have the CD it's on), so I went searching for other online music stores yesterday that had the song. In my search, I stumbled across eMusic.com. It's a membership site, but they offer a free trial for a certain number of days (I can't remember how many), and when you sign up for the free trial, they give you $10 worth of credit for free. You have to put your credit card information in, but they say it's just to make sure you don't already have an account with that card. So I put my information in, and went to town. They didn't have a huge selection (there were a few songs I wanted that they didn't have, like the Folsom Prison Blues cover by Everlast), but their selection was respectable. And their songs are way cheaper than iTunes. The cheapest I saw was .49, and the most expensive I saw was .89. I spent my $10, and then went to cancel my trial. When I did, they were like, "We hate to see you go! Here's $5 more to use in the next 90 days!" And I was like, "$5? Heck yeah I'll take $5!" So I took the $5 and spent it on more music. Andrew was a bit wary though (understandably, all things considered), especially when I told him that I had to put my credit card information in. He was like, "It's a scam!" And I was like, "If it was a scam, why would I have found it here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9992592-1.html?" He was still wary, so I actually cancelled my trial this time, even though they offered me another $5 to stay. I then went and read some reviews online, and a lot of the reviews by actual people (and not websites reviewing the company) were all, "They're crooks! They're thieves! It's a scam! They charged my card for no reason and their customer service sucks and now I can't get my money back!" Not all of them said that, but I went to check my bank account, and a charge for $1 showed up, which happens sometimes. I'm not sure why, but it wasn't a cause for worry. I checked again today, and the charge for $1 was gone, so I didn't get charged at all. After reading those reviews I went back to the site to see if I could remove my credit card information but there wasn't any way for me to. I tried to change my card number to see if that would work, but they were like, "This is not a valid credit card number," and I was like, "Yeah I didn't really think that would work anyway." I tried to put in an incorrect security code, but Wikipedia told me they aren't allowed by Visa to store that information anyway, so it didn't really matter. I ended up just changing the expiration date of the card to this month, even though it doesn't expire for another year. I don't know if that will make a difference, and I'll definitely keep monitoring my bank account to make sure I don't get charged for no reason. Oh yeah, and in order to download the songs, I had to install their eMusic download manager to my computer but I just uninstalled it after I got all my songs. This might not have anything to do with it, but I signed up, spent the money, and cancelled all in one day. I'd like to think that was the smart way to do it, but like I said, it could have just not even mattered. So anyway, the bottom line is I got 22 songs for free, and they just went right into my iTunes. You can choose to do with this information what you will. If you're wary about putting your credit card information in like Andrew was, then you can just ignore this post. If you decide to take the risk, then you could end up with 22 free songs (or more, or less, depending on how expensive the songs you buy are). Of course, I don't want to be responsible for your card being charged $11.99 (or any other amount, and that's what the disclaimer was for) and you not being able to get it back, so just be careful, and don't blame me, cause I didn't tell you straight out to do it. I just told you my experience and like I said, you can do with this information what you will. It also just occurred to me that some people might consider signing up and spending the money and then just cancelling dishonest, but I don't think it's dishonest. I mean, it's a legit website, and they offered a free trial, and when I signed up for a free trial, they gave me the $15 for free. That's what a free trial is anyway, trying out their product. What would be the point of signing up and not trying the product? Maybe I'm just justifying it, and if it really is dishonest, then my bad, and you definitely can ignore this post. I don't really think it's dishonest though. So anyway, there you go, a little reward for reading my blog, should you choose to accept.
*Wrap*

No comments:

Post a Comment