Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Am a Klutz

Sometimes I do really stupid things unintentionally, and sometimes I can be really quite ditzy and/or klutzy.
Today I almost burned down the apartment. It was kind of a close one, but not really, cause really all that burned was an oven mitt, our hand mixer, and the drawer those two things go in. Today I decided I wanted to make some cookies out of brownie mix, and the last time I tried to do it I didn't actually look up how, so I used the technique my old roommate Lisa used to make cookies out of cake mix and it did NOT work. So today, I actually looked up how, and it worked out great. Actually it didn't work out that great cause I kinda burned some of them (I'm really not that good at baking, I've decided...or being domestic in any way whatsoever). But the recipe was good, so next time, they'll turn out great. Third time's the charm right? Anyway, back to how I almost burned down the apartment. I went to pull the cookies out and I had two cookie sheets in with one on the bottom rack, which is the very closest it can be to the bottom of the oven (who does that? were the people living here before us crazy? on a side note, sometimes I wonder if they performed seances and played with ouija boards in here, cause I just do not get a good feeling here when I'm alone). I didn't realize this until I had pulled the cookies out, but apparently I touched the bottom of the oven with the oven mitt cause it was smoking a little bit, but I thought to myself, "Ah it's okay, no big deal." So I tossed it back into the drawer it came from and went back to my computer.  After about ten or fifteen minutes, the smell of something burning had not gone away yet so I stopped reading about the Justin Bieber baby mama scandal and went to look in the drawer with the oven mitt. To my surprise, I discovered that the reason the oven mitt was smoking when I pulled it out of the oven was because I caught it on fire, but since there weren't any flames I didn't realize it. There still weren't any flames when I opened the drawer, but that sucker was for sure burning, cause it had singed the bottom of the drawer and melted/charred the handle of our hand mixer. I quickly snatched that bad boy up and threw it in the sink, and a crisis was averted. The hand mixer still works in spite of its battle scars, and the drawer is fine in spite of a huge burn mark, but I don't think we'll be using that oven mitt anymore. And now not only does it still smell like burned plastic and fabric in here, but it's also freezing cause it's 39 degrees outside and I opened the door and window to try and get rid of the smell. It hasn't worked yet. So now I get to laugh at my own stupidity, and you get to laugh at my stupidity, and my husband gets to laugh at my stupidity when he comes home. Oh and here's some pictures of the damage.

It's wet with water from when I soaked it to put out the fire. Oh what's that you say? Duh it's wet with water? Well water's not the only thing you can get wet from. Duh.


*Wrap*

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Didn't you learn anything from your mother??? Not from her lack of trying to get you in the kitchen! Oh man! That is a great story!

    ReplyDelete