Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving!

Just a little heads up, but this post actually ended up being me raving about Fast Five pretty much the whole post, but it's my blog so I can post whatever I want.
So for Thanksgiving Andrew and I  were SUPPOSED to go to my grandma's house down in northern Arizona with my brother and two of my aunts and their families and possibly a third, but that didn't end up happening, and I was super bummed about it. I was so unbelievably excited to go, and then the day before we were supposed to leave, we find out that my uncle in Oregon was getting called to the bishopric in his ward so my grandma decided to go up there for that. I was disappointed, but I guess it was good for my uncle and his family. Whatevs. I'm not bitter. Not very bitter anyway haha. But we still had a good Thanksgiving. On Wednesday night Andrew and I went out to my Auntie Nathele and Uncle Talaga's house out in Eagle Mountain and spent the night. We watched (well I watched) Cars 2 with my 5 and 3 (I think that's how old they are anyway) year old cousins, and it was pretty cute, but it wasn't anything like the first one at all. After the little boys had to go to bed, Andrew, Talaga, and I watched Fast Five, which I thought was an AMAZING movie. As you might have seen on Facebook, I reviewed the Fast and the Furious movies and I'll repeat my review in a bit more detail here.
The Fast and the Furious was a decent movie, but Paul Walker is a terrible actor. Surely they could have gotten someone with just as pretty of a face AND acting skills. 2 Fast 2 Furious was not very good at all...not much more can be said about that. Tokyo Drift was an okay movie, but I don't understand why the heck they even made it. There was no point to it. It didn't even have any of the same characters. The only purpose it served was to introduce the character Han, *SPOILER ALERT* who ends up getting killed in the middle-ish of the movie. *END SPOILER ALERT* Sorry if you ignored my spoiler alert and I ruined it for you. And then the timeline gets all confusing cause they bring Han back into the 4th and 5th movies, and allude to what happens in Tokyo Drift. I have since watched Fast & Furious, and I thought it was better than the first three, but it didn't have a very strong plot. It was a good segue into the fifth movie though. And now Fast Five, which blew all the other movies out of the water, no contest. In my opinion anyway. And Andrew's too. If you're a guy, you're gonna like this movie. If you're a chick flick/romantic comedy kind of girl, and those are really the only kinds of movies you like, you won't like Fast Five. However, if you're into action movies, this is seriously one of the best. I mean, I dedicated most of this blog post to it. It's a bit violent, but what good action movie isn't? And I will admit that there were some things in this movie that I find hard to believe are possible in real life, but if you haven't realized and accepted by now that movies often take for granted things that are actually impossible in real life, then you probably don't like watching movies very much. The mark of a good movie is being able to take something impossible and make us believe that it's possible. Anyway, Fast Five had a strong plot, good actors (except Paul Walker and the Rock, but the epic fight scene between Vin Diesel and the Rock made up for his poor acting skills I think), great cinematography, fast cars, and bad guys that you can't help but root for, and in this movie they play the good guys anyway. So I guess I'll stop talking about this movie now that you know way more about what I think about this movie series than you probably wanted to, and I'll just say one more time that Fast Five was so good. SO GOOD.
So back to our Thanksgiving. On Thursday morning, Andrew went and played in the Turkey Bowl my aunt and uncle's branch had, and my aunt and uncle go to the Samoan branch out in Eagle Mountain, so Andrew was a bit nervous to play with a bunch of big Polys, but it was all good. Then we went over my other aunt's house and had delicious food and hung out with family all day and it was great. That night Alex slept over at our apartment and the next day we went and explored a ghost town called Thistle about 45 minutes away. All that was left of it were a few of the walls and foundation of one building, some of an old schoolhouse, (both were fairly heavily graffitied), and a house that was half underwater and its outbuildings. I have an obsession with ghost towns and abandoned/old buildings, and while this one was kinda cool, it wasn't what you think of when you think of ghost towns. We didn't really do much else that was exciting on Friday or Saturday, but Saturday night Andrew and I went to the Nickelcade in Orem and it was a ton of fun. We'll definitely be going back there sometime.  And Sunday of course we went to church, and Alex spoke in his ward so we went to that as well. He did a great job. So that was our Thanksgiving. Oh and in the spirit of Thanksgiving I'm thankful for my wonderful husband and family (immediate and extended), I'm thankful for good food, good movies, fun places to go hang out, the opportunity that I have to be here at BYU gaining a quality education, all of the material things I take for granted such as our car and my camera, Modern Family, and oh so much more. And now the celebration of Christmas can begin.
*Wrap*

1 comment: